Eat like royalty with this posh school dessert!
• Vanilla sponge:
• 300g caster sugar
• 125g unsalted butter, softened
• 3 medium eggs
• 300g plain flour
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• ¼ tsp salt
• 200ml whole milk
• To decorate:
• 250g custard
• 250g strawberry jam
• desiccated coconut, to taste
• gold leaf
1. In a large bowl beat together the caster sugar and butter until smooth and creamy.
2. Beat in the eggs one at a time making sure they are well combined after each addition.
3. Sift over the flour, salt and baking powder and beat until almost combined. Pour over the milk and continue mixing. Scrape down the bowl to make sure everything is incorporated.
4. Pour into a 9x13-inch baking tray lined with baking paper and place into a pre-heated oven at 190C for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
5. Leave sponge to cool slightly before poking holes all over the sponge using the end of a wooden spoon.
6. Once the sponge has cooled completely, pour on the custard and spread it over the sponge allowing it to drip down into the holes. Remove any excess before smoothing the jam over the top.
7. Sprinkle the desiccated coconut over the jam then cut the sponge into 12-20 squares.
8. To serve, add a spoonful of custard onto the centre of your serving dish and using the back of a spoon, swipe it through creating a curve following the shape of the dish.
9. Place a piece of sponge on top of the custard followed by a sprinkling of desiccated coconut along the outside edge of the custard.
10. Add the remaining custard and jam into two separate piping bags and decorate the edges of the plate with dots of custard and jam.
11. To finish, carefully add the gold leaf to the top of the sponge. Enjoy :D