We moustache you to give this cake a go
• 200 grams Plain flour
• 45 grams Cocoa powder
• 2 teaspoons Baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon Salt
• 100 grams Soft light brown sugar
• 180 grams Caster sugar
• 80 grams Unsalted butter
• 240 milliliters Whole milk
• 2 Eggs
• 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
• 450 grams Icing sugar
• 150 grams Unsalted butter
• 35-40 milliliters Whole milk
• 500 milliliters Double cream
• 500 grams Chocolate, finely chopped (I use a mix of milk & dark)
1. For the ganache heat the double cream in a saucepan over medium heat until hot but not boiling stirring continuously.
2. Place chocolate into a bowl and pour over hot cream. Stir until smooth and glossy. Leave to cool and then set in the fridge.
3. For the two cakes preheat oven to 190°C. Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
4. In a separate bowl beat together the butter and two sugars until creamy.
5. Meanwhile, in another bowl/jug whisk together the milk, eggs and vanilla extract.
6. Add 1/2 of the wet ingredients into the butter mixture and mix on a slow/medium speed slowly adding all of the dry ingredients.
7. Scrape down your bowl and beat in the remaining wet ingredients.
8. Once the mixture is smooth, evenly divide it between two 8inch round cake tins.
9. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
10. For the buttercream sift the icing sugar into a bowl, add the butter and half the milk and beat until sandy.
11. Add the remaining milk and beat for a good 5 minutes until the icing is paler in colour and is light and fluffy.
12. Cut both cooled cakes into a yin yang symbol. I like folding an 8 inch circle of baking paper in half and half again and drawing an elongated s through the middle point.
13. Cut out the template and place it on top of your first cake to guide you when cutting.
14. Flip over one of the halves to form the moustache shape. Top with buttercream, cut the second cake and place them on top. Apply a crumb coat all over the cake and smooth the chilled and set ganache over the sides of the cake. Run a folk through to create the effect of hair.
15. Add remaining ganache into a piping bag fitted with a star tip and pipe along the top of the cake keeping to the shape of the moustache.
16. Enjoy :D