Michelle Obama, a future president? Well, these shortbread biscuits deserve to be back in office, at least!
• 360 grams unsalted butter
• 300 grams caster sugar
• 2 egg yolks
• 2 tablespoons Amaretto
• 1 teaspoon orange zest
• 1 teaspoon lemon zest
• 360 grams plain flour
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 egg white
• 2 tablespoons caster sugar
• Adapted from food.com
1. Heat oven to 170°C. Line a 17 x 12 x 1 inch baking tray with nonstick foil.
2. Cream together butter and 300 grams caster sugar, and then add egg yolks, beating mixture until smooth.
3. Beat in Amaretto and zest, before stirring in flour and salt.
4. Spread dough evenly into tray, making it smooth and flat as possible.
5. Brush top of dough with egg white; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Bake at 170°C for 25 minutes or until brown.
6. Turn off oven and allow shortbread to sit in oven, with door ajar, for 15 minutes. Cut while slightly warm.