Upgrade your waffles with a Christmas twist!
• Egg Nog Ice Cream:
• 600ml double cream
• 60g caster sugar
• 3 large egg yolks
• 2-3 tbsp brandy
• ¼ tsp nutmeg
• ½ tsp vanilla extract
• Brandy Syrup:
• 2 tbsp brandy
• Juice of 1 large orange
• 125g soft light brown sugar
• Chocolate Waffles:
• 280g plain flour sifted
• 20g cocoa powder sifted
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• large pinch of salt
• 25g caster sugar
• 2 eggs
• 300ml whole milk
• 50g butter, melted
• 50-100g chocolate chips
1. For the egg nog ice cream, gently heat double cream in a pan until very hot but not boiling. Don’t let the cream come to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks and caster sugar until the mixture is smooth and paler in colour.
3. Gradually pour and whisk in a third of the hot cream into the egg yolk mixture before pouring it back into the pan with the remaining cream.
4. Continue to heat until the mixture thickens and it coats the back of a wooden spoon.
5. Stir in the brandy, vanilla extract and nutmeg until evenly combined.
6. Pour into a plastic container and leave to cool to room temperature. Once cooled place in the freezer to set. If you have an ice cream maker you can use that following the machine instructions.
7. For the brandy syrup, pour the brandy, orange juice and sugar into a small saucepan and stir over a medium/low heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and let the mixture simmer for around 3 minutes until the mixture has reduced and become thicker. Take off the heat. It will thicken up more once cooled.
8. For the waffles, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and caster sugar until well combined.
9. Pour in the eggs and milk and whisk until smooth. Stir in the melted butter before folding in the chocolate chips.
10. Ladle batter into a preheated waffle iron and cook for 3-4 minutes.
11. Serve waffles with a dusting of icing sugar, a scoop of egg nog ice cream and a drizzle of brandy syrup. Enjoy :D