Create your own bonfire without having to go outside in the cold!
• 200 grams Plain flour
• 45 grams Cocoa powder
• 2 teaspoons Baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon Salt
• 100 grams Soft light brown sugar
• 180 grams Caster sugar
• 80 grams Unsalted butter
• 240 milliliters Whole milk
• 2 Eggs
• Grated zest of 1 Orange
• 450 grams Icing sugar
• 150 grams Unsalted butter
• 35-40 milliliters Whole milk
• To decorate:
• Yellow & Red gel food colour
• Orange flavoured Matchmakers
1. Preheat oven to 190°C. Sift the dry ingredients together into a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl beat together the butter and two sugars until creamy.
3. Meanwhile, in another bowl/jug whisk together the milk, eggs and vanilla extract.
4. Add 1/3 of the wet ingredients into the butter mixture and mix on a slow/medium speed followed by 1/3 of the dry ingredients.
5. Scrape down your bowl and beat in 1/2 the remaining wet ingredients followed by the rest of the dry ingredients. Once combined pour in the remaining wet ingredients.
6. Once the mixture is smooth, evenly divide it into the cupcake cases.
7. Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
8. For the buttercream sift the icing sugar into a bowl and beat it into the butter. Once sandy pour in the milk to combine.
9. Beat for a good 5 minutes until the icing is paler in colour and is light and fluffy. Divide buttercream into two bowls.
10. Colour one bowl of buttercream yellow and the other orangey red using both the red and yellow gel colour.
11. Place the icing into a piping bag with a star tip adding small dollops at a time alternating between the two colours to create a fire effect.
12. Pipe swirls onto each cupcake and decorate by breaking up the matchmakers into smaller pieces and leaning them against the buttercream to look like a bonfire.
13. Enjoy :D