A retro classic with a fancy new dip!
• 5 maris piper potatoes,
• Roasted in the oven in skins until soft:
• 100 grams plain flour
• 2 tablespoons corn flour (to thinken sauce if needed)
• 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
• 2 egg yolks
• 300 grams vine ripened tomatoes
• 1 clove of garlic
• 1 red onion
• 1 teaspoon umami paste
• 2 litres vegetable oil
1. Make the ketchup by placing the tomatoes and onion on a baking tray. Season, drizzle with oil and place into an oven at 210C for 25-30 minutes until heavily roasted.
2. Transfer to a blender or hand blender safe container, add in the umami paste and blend. If it's a little thin, add some corn flour dissolved in water to thicken.
3. Place the cooled cooked potato through a ricer and add enough flour, egg yolk, salt & pepper, and breadcrumbs so that it forms a dough-like consistency.
4. Turn out onto floured parchment paper.
5. Place another piece on top and roll out until it's about a centimeter thick.
6. Use a cutter to cut out circles and a straw to remove the eyes. Cut a smile using a spoon and then transfer these into the oil heated to 180C until golden and crisp.
7. Serve with the ketchup you just made and tuck in.