Tender baby squid is coated in a salt, pepper and panko breadcrumb topping before being deep fried until crispy. It’s served with a tangy lime and chilli mayo.
Recipe by Jack Lucas.
• 400 grams baby squid, sliced into rings
• 3 eggs
• 4 tablespoons corn flour
• 150 grams Japanese panko breadcrumbs
• 2 tablespoons crushed peppercorns
• 1 tablespoon Maldon sea salt
• 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
• 2 limes, zest and juice
• 2 red chillies, finely sliced
• 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
• Deep fat fryer, filled with 3 litres oil - this can be fried in a saucepan as an alternative solution
1. Arrange 3 bowls, one with the two eggs, scrambled, one with the flour and one breadcrumbs mixed with the salt and pepper
2. Take the sliced squid rings and tentacles and place in the flour, then egg and then breadcrumbs
3. Heat the oil to around 180 degrees C (if you don't have a thermometer, drop a breadcrumb in and it should sizzle and turn golden)
4. Fry the squid in the oil in batches until golden (this shouldn't take longer than 1-2 minutes) and drain on kitchen paper
5. While the squid cooks, mix the zest and juice of the limes with the sliced chillies and smoked paprika
6. Serve on a nice sharing platter and enjoy!