These doughnuts are a metaphor for life – sweet, savoury and full of sweetcorn
• 1 jar roasted red peppers
• 110 grams plain flour
• 2 tablespoons cornmeal
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• Salt and pepper
• 80 milliliters milk
• 1 large egg
• 250 grams white and brown crab meat
• 1 corn on the cob, cooked
• 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
• Handful basil
• Handful tarragon
• 1 lemon, zest and juice
• Pinch cayenne pepper
1. Combine the plain flour, cornmeal, baking powder and
2. Season well. Add in the eggs and milk to form a batter
3. And incorporate the crab meat, kernels from the cooked
4. Corn on the cob and 2 red peppers chopped finely. Mix to
5. Form a batter.
6. In a bowl, mix together the shredded herbs, lemon and
7. Cayenne with the mayonnaise and set aside.
8. To fry, pre-heat oil in a large heavy pan to 170C. Form
9. Little balls about the size of golf balls of the batter mix
10. And drop into the hot oil. Fry until golden and drain on
11. Kitchen paper.
12. Serve alongside the mayonnaise.