Who remembers Flumps?! These colourful, twisted marshmallow treats are super easy to make at home!
• 2 tbsp unflavoured gelatin powder
• 180ml cold water
• 300g icing sugar
• 100g cornflour
• 225g sugar
• 90ml + 90ml liquid glucose
• 80ml water
• 1 tsp vanilla
• Blue/yellow/pink food colouring
1. Start by blooming the gelatin and water together and set to one side.
2. Next sift together your icing sugar and cornflour - this will be your marshmallow powder coating you will need later!
3. In a medium saucepan, add the water, 90ml of liquid glucose, and sugar and place it on a medium high heat until it reaches exactly 120C on a thermometer.
4. Meanwhile in a stand mixer add the remaining glucose and the gelatin mixture (heat the gelatin in the microwave so that it is liquid) and whisk on low speed.
5. As soon as the sugar mixture reaches temperature, increase the stand mixer to high speed and slowly pour the sugar mixture in the side of the bowl. Whisk on high for 5m, add the vanilla, then whisk for another 2m.
6. Just before the timer is up, coat your work surface or a silicone mat generously with the marshmallow coating powder.
7. Once the mixer is done, you need to work very quickly - split the marshmallow mixture into 3 bowls and add the food colouring.
8. Into 3 piping bags fitted with round tip nozzles, add the coloured marshmallow mixture and pipe long ropes in even lengths on top of your marshmallow powder coating.
9. Once you have finished piping, dust with more marshmallow coating and then allow them to set for 30m-1hr until they feel tacky to the touch.
10. Once tacky, gently roll the ropes to loosen them from the work surface, rolling them in the surrounding marshmallow powder.
11. Place three coloured ropes next to each other and join them at the top with a toothpick. Gently twist them together at the bottom until you have a tight spiral.