You need to give this zesty orange meringue pie a try!
• Pie Base Orange Curd
• 200 grams plain flour
• 2 oranges
• 100 grams butter
• 1 lemon
• 50 grams egg
• 3 eggs
• 10 milliliters water 150 grams caster sugar
• Pinch salt
• 30 grams butter
• Crystallised Orange Peel Italian Meringue
• Strips of orange zest 100 grams egg white
• 100 grams caster sugar 200 grams caster sugar
• 100 grams water 25 milliliters water
1. For the pie base: Rub flour, salt and butter to form and-like consistency. Add egg and water and combine to make dough. Chill before lining tin. Line and prick the bottom and refrigerate again. Blind bake at 180°C with baking beans. Remove beans half way and cook until golden brown.
2. For the orange curd: Put the zest of the lemon, zest of one orange and juice of both oranges into a saucepan.
3. Add the caster sugar and heat until the sugar has dissolved (keep the heat on low).
4. Mix the eggs in a bowl and pour into the saucepan.
5. Keep stirring over the heat until it thickens
6. (takes about 5 minutes.. Strain through a sieve into a heat proof bowl. Add the butter and mix through and leave to cool. Pour into the tart case and refrigerate.
7. For the Italian meringue: place caster sugar and water in a saucepan, bring to 118°C. Whisk up the egg white while the sugar is heating until soft peaks. Slowly pour in the sugar syrup on a low speed. Speed up and keep whisking until the meringue has cooled. Fill a piping bag
8. And pipe over the tart. Blowtorch to finish.
9. For the crystallised Orange Peel: Put zest into a saucepan and fill with water. Bring to boil and strain through a sieve. Repeat this one more time then put the zest with the caster sugar and an equal amount of water and bring to a boil. Simmer until the zest appears translucent. Strain through a sieve. Allow to cool and dry over kitchen towel. When ready place over the top of your pie.