Up your banana bread game with an oozing salted caramel centre
• 285 grams self raising flour
• 100 milliliters veg oil
• 200 grams brown sugar
• 2 eggs
• 4 really ripe bananas
• 85 milliliters buttermilk
• Vanilla paste
• 100 grams caster sugar
• 60 milliliters double cream
• 45 grams butter
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. In a bowl mash the ripe bananas with a fork until it is all
3. squished. Then add in the vegetable oil and stir.
4. Crack your eggs in to the banana mixture and mix until
5. the eggs have been incorporated.
6. Pour in the butter milk and continue to mix with the fork.
7. Now for the dry ingredients- add in the flour, allspice
8. brown sugar and the vanilla paste. Fold it all in with a
9. spatular until it is all incorporated.
10. Pour the mixture into a lined loaf tin and place in the
11. preheated oven for 45 mins.
12. Salted caramel sauce: Pour the caster sugar into a pan
13. and place on a medium heat. Sprinkle over a good pinch
14. of sea salt.
15. Slowly and very occasionally move the sugar around
16. until it has all caramelized. This should take approx
17. 8 mins.
18. Once caramelized add in the unsalted butter. As soon
19. as it has melted add in the cream and stir.
20. Once it has all melted and turned a nice light brown
21. colour, take it off the heat and transfer to a heatproof
22. dish to cool.
23. With your cooked and cooled banana bread, using a
24. bread knife, cut a centre in the cake. Make sure to only
25. cut in half way down and a good inch away from the
26. outside of the cake, You should be left with a nice
27. square well/ bath for the sauce to go in to.
28. Pour in your cooled caramel sauce and place the banana
29. bread ‘lid’ that you cut out back on top of the bread.